We arrived in Salt Lake City
This is "us" in May 1962 just a few weeks before Alan left for the USA.
This is a copy of the card he sent to us showing the airplane he travelled on.He left us in Belfast to live with Uncle Roy and his family until he got set up in Salt Lake City.
One day Uncle Roy took us on the Antrim Coast Road and we had a fire and fried sausages.We missed Alan and counted the days till it was time for us to come.
Finally on October 16th 1962 we flew to Idlewild Airport in New York where Uncle John met us. We stayed with him and his family in Alexandria, Virginia for a few days. Where I was introduced to automatic washers and DRYERS. and gallon bottles of milk.
Lesley was 4 and 3 months, Archie 2 and 10 months, and Timothy 15 months. When Archie was given a drink with crushed ice he remarked,"I don't like this drink with stones in it".
On Sunday 22nd we left Washington D.C. on a train for Chicago, where we arrived Monday morning and I was wondering what we had done because I did not see much so far that thrilled me. We waited all day for our train at 3pm Monday afternoon.
We boarded the California Zephyr and rode overnight to Denver. In Denver we found a reason to stay :o) It was Fall and the colours were something I had never experienced, and as the day progressed we were constantly impressed. As we crossed the State border from Colorado into Utah, I cried. I was at peace. We still had 6 hours before we reached Salt Lake City and Alan/Daddy.
The children were absolutely fabulous. They were no trouble at all. One thing that was disconcerting was the USA was in the middle of the Cuban Crisis, and I didn't know if we were arriving on the brink of war.When Lesley saw her Daddy she asked, "Do you want to keep me?" Alan couldn't answer, he just held her closer and tighter.
Uncle Joe picked us up and before driving us to Bountiful where we were to live he drove us to the top of Main Street so we could see Salt Lake City and the temple.
Alan had acquired an apartment at 1050 West 500 South, West Bountiful.
Next few days I was overwhelmed with the mountains, all I could say was,
"Just look at those mountains"
We enjoyed Indian Summer weather for several days.
We enjoyed Indian Summer weather for several days.
Many people contributed to our needs, giving beds and couches and grandma stocked the cupboards and refrigerator.
This picture of the children was taken in the Spring of 1963 outside
1050 West 500 South
And the story continues.........................

5 comments:
I can't write a comment my eyes are to full....
Love you two
Awe isn't my daddy cute! I guess that Archie has been saying funny things since he was a wee lad :) Love you!
Mom, I've been thinking about the emotions and thoughts that went through you during that time. I feel pride and deep affection for you for the sensitivity to the spirit and the courage it took. Thank you for coming to America, Mom. So many lives would have been different if you didn't do what you did, including mine. Alan and I call it "sliding doors" or what if...I'm certainly glad my life IS what it Is and not what if... what if you didn't come to America, what if Alan didn't grow up in Bountiful, what if we never met...
Trixie I love reading your "reminiscing" posts! Keep them coming:)
We have been enjoying reading the family history book recently. I especially love the letters that were sent back and forth between you two. What a treasure it is for all of us to enjoy. I love these pictures too.
Post a Comment