Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gone are the years......

... In Church last Sunday one of the speakers referred to things we used to do in the Church which set us thinking. Here are some of the changes we came up with. If you remember others please feel free to comment.

We used to have Stake Conferences quarterly, and always had a General Authority. I don't remember if we had Saturday metings, but we always had a morning session 10am, and an afternoon session 2pm. Many people did not return for the pm session and the popular opinion was that the Saviour would return at the Sunday afternoon session.:o)

General Conference was held for three days and always included two sessions on Friday, and April conference always included April 6th whatever day of the week it was.

Priesthood meeting (in our case) was 10am Sunday, with Sunday School at 11:30 and Sacrament meeting at 6pm. Sunday School always had sacrament with a child saying a "Sacrament Gem" and the congregation repeating it. There were always two, two and a half minute talks, and a song practise and then dismiss to classes. This format changed with the introduction of the block schedule.

We used to have Stake meetings every month. Sunday School, Primary, Mutual (MIA), Relief Society. A roll call was held by Ward and there was some "fun" in seeing which Ward had the most attendees. These were similiar to current twice yearly training meetings.

We used to pay budget every month. Sometimes we were assessed by the Bishop. We used to have building funds, the Ward and Stake had a certain percentage to pay for a building, again we were assessed and also opportunities were there to work off some of the debt. It is always the Church policy that a building cannot be dedicated until it is paid for.
We had a building assessment for the building of the Jordan River Temple. These financial needs were abolished when the Church provided all monies. Except tithing of course, that is always a commandment and a blessing.

Relief Society used to require membership dues. And every year they held a Bazaar to raise money for their expenses.

We used to have "Penny Drives" for the PCH, and also children when they had a birthday always contributed a penny for every year. This was done in Primary meetings as they came up to be sung to. We also had Children's Friend drives. In these drives we paired up two by two and visited every home in the Ward to collect pennies, or to get subscriptions for the Children's Friend. We always had a "potluck" lunch afterwards, and all the pre-schoolers were tended at the church. One year at the lunch just about everyone brought jello salad. Another year one of the children in the nursery broke out with German Measles the day afterwards and in 6 weeks just about every family was affected by the measles.

Primary was held after school on Tuesday, or Wednesday. This also changed with the block schedule.

Home Teaching used to be Ward Teaching. We always struggled for FHE until Joseph Fielding Smith said Monday Night was to be set aside for this. "The Ensign" replaced "The Instructor" and "The Improvement Era" and the "Relief Society Magazine". "The Friend" replaced the Children's Friend.

8 comments:

Lesley said...

I remember fast Sundays (before the block schedule) when we went right into fast and testimony meeting after Sunday school. I remember when children were confirmed on Sunday during F&T meeting; now they are confirmed right after baptism. Nobody went to the pulpit to bear testimony in "those days", you stood up and an Aaronic priesthood young man would bring you the hand held microphone and you stood at your seat to speak. When I first went to mutual it was a week night (as you mentioned), and I wore a dress, and we had opening exercises (inc. 2 1/2 minute talks), then we went to our class for our lesson. We had an opening social (fall) and a closing social (spring) and there wasn't mutual held during the summer (except girls camp). In primary we learned how to X stitch, knit, and crochet. We had a daddy/daughter date at the church every year. I used to LOVE going to the fall Bazaar. When I was a little girl we had the BEST Christmas party at our ward each year. It was magical. Children didn't run around in the halls and in and out the doors, they sat with their families. I remember the murals on our chapel walls each Christmas, 3 of them. I want to see them again. I liked this post and I liked the picture of the two boys at the JR temple.

Archie said...

I remember the murals. Didn't Bro. McKean paint them? Anyway when they went up in the chapel I knew Christmas was coming, and I knew what Christmas was about. I remember the Christmas program and performing in it on several occassions. I also remember when Sacrament Meeting was at 6 pm and we would hurry home afterward at least twice a year, once for Wizard of Oz and the other for the Ten Commandments. Like Les I loved the ward Basaar. Lots of treats and cool stuff to see. I also remember when we would have ward movies in the First Ward building. We could buy treats and they always had the freshly made rootbeer. I remember when we were selected as one of two families, the other being the Brown's (I believe) to live off our food storage for two weeks. I remember the penny drive each year. They had a penny bank in the shape of the old PCH building. I also remember after a priesthood lesson by Walter Elsby that all the deacons up on the stand bore their testimony one after another that day in Fast Meeting. I remember as Priest President conducting a monthly baptisim meeting on a Saturday night. I remember when Sacrament Meetings for missionary farewells and reunions was centered around and organized by the missionary. I remember Stake conferences at the Valley Music Hall before they removed the pictures of the performers. I remember sinking in my seat on an early Sunday morning as Dad gently scolded the congregation for not singing out.

Great post Mum... lots of good memories.

Alan said...

Remember Junior Sunday School? Before the block, when Primary was held during the week, there was Junior Sunday School and we would administer sacrament as Aaronic Priesthood holders in what is now the Primary Room. I remember Road Shows, when we actually took the act on the road and performed our ward's show at three different buildings in one night. Also, old buildings used to have cry rooms for mothers to take small children. I remember the stake house across from viewmont actually had a room behind glass. In the West Bountiful 1st Ward Building it was simply a window overlooking the chapel from the hall upstairs. Oh how I wish we had cry rooms today :(

Margie said...

Tim said....I remember during one of the sessions for stake conference they had a breakout session for the primary children (I always hated it and so did Margie because you ended up sitting by strangers). I loved the old murals on the chapel wall during Christmas time. I remember one year having a spook alley down in the scout room which included having to walk into the section under the gym that was always creepy. I remember that one year the two highest contributing primary classes to the pennies drive would get to tour Primary Children's Hospital and my class and Lesley's class were the lucky ones. I remember Kevin Rassmussen's bumble bee suit (yellow and black plaid) and President Owens' weak handshake (I think his name was Owens; President Samuelson's counselor). We also used to have the "Blazers" class and we would sing "Light the Torch." Remember in the first ward the kitchen was just off the side of the stage and on the other side was that random, creepy bathroom. I also remember when ward conference was a time when they would call you by surprise from the congregation to speak. That was a huge deal for the youth, always very scary.

Grammie said...

I remember having primary graduation. It was called the Lahoma Holiday. I'm not really sure why that name. I remember being a 'gaynote' They would never use that term now. Wow, how things have changed!!! Great post Bea!

Lilian said...

I don't remember the murals on the walls :-( I guess that's okay since I am a bit younger than my sbilings. I was just barely into beehives when the block schedule was introduced, so I don't remember too many mutual nights. I do remember being really bugged that we'd have to go to church for three straight hours. But now, I think I'd probably be bugged if it was the other way again. I definitey remember taking my dress to school (if I didnt wear it) so I could go to Primary on my way home. I have vague memories about these bazzars you are talking about. But today in church, I thought of something else that was not on your original list. But then my memory may still be wierd so you can correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't we used to also have ushers who would stand in the isles and excuse us from our seats one row at a time?

Lesley said...

The ushers in the aisles sound familiar...I think that that was in Sunday school. I remember beinbg a Gaynote, Merrihand, and Lihoma (that meant little homemaker) in primary.

Lesley said...

...and a firelight.