Sunday, June 14, 2009

UTAH... This is the Place

I recently returned to Utah after a trip to California. We entered through St. George. Everytime we cross the Utah State line I sing various bits of hymns as in, "Firm as the Mountains Around Us" or "Utah, We love Thee". I say bits because inevitably I only sing one or two lines before I am crying. :o) I LOVE UTAH. When I cross the border, I AM HOME. Driving north on I-15 I look upon the green fields with pleasure and gratitude and recognition, I'm in UTAH. I always notice there are lots of "Utah" plates, I AM HOME. Even when flying into Salt Lake City I know when I am in Utah airspace, I'M HOME. Back in 1962, Lesley (4), Archie (2 1/2) and Timothy (15 months) and I traveled from Washington DC to Chicago by train, and from Chicago to SLC on the California Zephyr. On the afternoon of the 3rd day as we crossed from Colorado into Utah there was a line painted on the canyon wall "Utah/Colorado", I cried. I was in Utah for the first time. "Now, therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners but fellow citzens with the Saints" Eph. 2:19 I just found out we have a new State song,I asked my Granddaughter Emily to sing the last verse for me.

6 comments:

Lesley said...

That was tender, and I liked the new song. Emily did a great job. I LOVE Utah and I'm glad I live here, it's my home, but....I still love t'ocean and it's not in Utah.

Margie said...

What a great idea to have Emily sing for us. She did a great job, and has a great voice. I love Utah too. As Dorothy put it...there's no place like home!! But I do love visiting other places.

em said...

Awww, granma, this was such a sweet post. I too, love Utah, and could have kissed the ground when I returned home from Brasil as a missionary. I even got teary eyed just flying home from California as we were approaching SLC. It feels good to be home. ;)

Well I wish Mason could have heard YOU singing this song (even though mini Embem did a great job!) since he loved your singing at the beach house that day. ;)

Bonnie and Jim said...

I'm with you Bea. I LOVE UTAH!! It's amazing I have lived here all my life and never seen some of these beautiful places. There is so much diverse land in Utah. It's a must to see. It's not home without my mountains around me. Your grand-daughter is darling. She has a good voice. Cute song. When our fourth grade practices their program I here them singing this song down the hallway. I like it!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Emily did a really great job! I love Utah because it has so many fine qualities and many of the people I love including Christopher is there, but that's all I'm going to say on that subject because I don't want to be beat up or erased from the will :-)

Grammie said...

I love Utah too. I look at the mountains everyday and am so happy to live in such a beautiful place. And what a sweet voice!