Friday, February 13, 2009

Dessert or Deseret
















When I was a child growing up in
Belfast we always went to Church (Sunday School) on Sunday morning and when we got home my Mother always had a good dinner prepared. My Dad would sometimes ask if there was any "114". ? HUH? Well, turns out that in the old hymn book #114 was "In our Lovely Deseret" and anyone who knows my family at all can imagine how quickly "dessert" can become "deseret". Even as an "old" man my Dad would still occasionally ask for "any 114"

Singing was always important in our family. Non of us were singers per se but that wasn't a problem. We sang anyway. I love the hymns of the Church and at special times in my life they have "carried" me through. My children usually leave the room when I start singing, and when my Grandkids were babies I always "sang" them to sleep. Was that their defense system? falling asleep? Alan and I do not look at each other as we sing, "Praise to the Man" we will always have tears.














One Christmas when Alan Jr. was on his mission in the Philippines we were all in Church on Christmas day singing "Silent Night" and I started crying, one by one the children all joined in and there was only one hankie between us. Granpa's.
"Redeemer of Israel" is another favorite.
Just suffice it to say, if I was castaway on a desert island along with the scriptures, my next request would be the Hymn Book.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Tender moment. I remember you telling us about "114" when we were kids. I also remember Christmas of 1983 and singing "Silent Night" on Christmas Day at your ward. "Redeemer of Israel"....what more can I say.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I love reading this Mom. I love knowing all these trivia about your family. And I love all the hymns you mentioned, but especially "Redeemer of Israel" because I can play the simplified version on the piano, and we all know I'm not musically skilled so for me that's a big deal :-)

Karalee said...

I didn't know that about Wee Joe... I always look forward to checking your blog to see if there are any new stories! We love you Trixie:)

Margie said...

I love how you post about family history. It is a great theme and we all learn so much. Did you know that if we don't have any
"114" on any given Sunday, Tim gets all sad :(. So I ALWAYS try to have something good to eat!