Sunday, August 10, 2008

Food for Thought


My Mother was born on August 10 1904. I think today I am going to write about her and her hospitality. She always put her best foot forward in welcoming people into our home. I remember as a child in wartime Britain the G.I.s who attended Church on Sunday were always sent home with various families and we always had two or three or four come home with us. We were on rations so there was not a lot to go around but whatever we had was shared and these young men were welcomed. I remember my Uncle Harry, her brother, who lived in Essex coming home to Belfast for his holidays and bringing Auntie May, June, Billy and Barbara. My Mother would rearrange all the sleeping arrangements to accommodate them. BUT!!!! the best part was she always made a FRY. Which included bacon, eggs, soda bread and potato bread. Uncle Harry was the returning native son and soda and tady was unheard of in England. We did not have this everyday so it was a treat for us also. Today we call it an Ulster Fry.
This is an Ulster Fry. Similar to what I make except I have not added mushrooms but will take requests. This is such a traditional meal, people outside Ulster do not know what it is. I learned to bake apple pie when I was about 12, and in the Fall we would always go Blackberrying and Mom would make jelly. Another celebration she prepared was the wedding reception of my brother Roy. She sat about 40 people down to a fancy meal in our living room which was NOT big. It was wall to wall tables and chairs. My children probably have stories to tell of my efforts at hosting people in our home, and the ensuing turmoil but hopefully they do have happy memories of the people we entertained. I learned it from my Mother. This being an Olympic year I am reminded that my Mother was a knitter. The Olympics were held in London in 1948 and she knit a sweater for my brother Roy that had the Olympic rings as a pattern. She also knit a sweater for my brother Joe, he visited an aunt who noticed a loose thread and pulled on it to break it off, instead a large piece of the sweater came unravelled. Needless to say my Mother was "upset". My Mother died in March 1953 before reaching her 49th birthday. I think of her often.

9 comments:

Lilian said...

I'm glad you posted this about my grandma. Since I never knew her, it's nice to hear these things and know what she was like.

I have nothing but happy memories of the times we've squeezed in many people in my childhood home! I look forward to many more.

I also have many happy memories that include and Ulster Fry. Unfortunately, it's been so long... I've forgotten. At least 5 weeks!!!! And there weren't tomatoes OR mushrooms... which would be nice. Yes, I do think another Fry is in order!

Thanks mom!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Mom, I'm glad you are sharing these things about your mother. I want my kids to know things about their great Granma, what things were passed on to you that you are now passing on to Tara's generation. Had Granma Ditty lived to see you with your children and grandchldren she would have been very proud of you I think. Among many other things, I'm thankful for the Ulster fry tradition :-) And in a few weeks come October I hope I will finally get that lesson. I think Tara will be signing up for that, too, since that will be after she's already been to Belfast. Yeah!

Lesley said...

That was a nice post about my grandmother. She is one of the ones I look forward to meeting one day (a long time from now). She certainly taught you the importance of hospitality and that food is a very important part of a party. We always know we'll be fed well at Granma's. I shouldn't have read this post while hungry.

BobN said...

Thanks very much for sharing. She sounds like a wonderful lady. It would be neat to run into one of those GI's, I'm sure they could share happy memories too.

P.S. Lilian can have my mushrooms

Margie said...

It was so fun to read about your mother. You are a wonderful hostess and I know all of us have been the lucky ones to enjoy your gifts and talents of entertaining and cooking/baking. Your children and grandchildren are very blessed for your goodness and unselfishness!! I am so impressed with your blog. You are doing a great job!

Barbara Montgomery said...

now i know were my mum got her love affair with food from she was never happier to see people getting stuck into her food after she had stood and baked all day and seeing all the empty plates it made her smile, she also loved knitting as i do, do you remember the aran cardigan i had just knit when you and uncle Alan came to stay i lent to you when we when to the giant's causeway and you liked that much that i gave it to you.

em said...

For a minute I thought your mom was Lesley! What a family resemblance. Thank you for sharing some memories of her. I LOVE to read posts like this so that I can tell my children about their great-great-grandmother Ditty! ;)

Karalee said...

Trixie I loved this post! I've never seen a picture of Andrew's grandma before...I didn't know anyone even had a picture of her!
Thank you for this beautiful insight to your mom. She sounds like she was a wonderful mom and person...please please share more stories like these on your blog? We love hearing them!

Alan said...

I just had several Ulster Fry's in Ulster. They were pretty good, but not as good as me mommy's. Thanks for sharing the picture of my grandmother. It's one I haven't seen before.