Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Names......

We had a baby girl blessed today in our Ward. As her Father held her and she was surrounded by the Priesthood holders in her family I felt the love of her family for her and each other. I was reminded of a talk I listened to at BYU Women's Conference a few weeks ago. I don't remember all the details of the talk or the name of the speaker, but I do remember he talked about the names we would be known by. Our given name, a nickname, changing names, spiritual names etc. And he spoke of this love by which we are surrounded as we are part of a family, and how names are chosen in love etc. I thought about the names we chose and blessed our children with.


First Lesley Ann. I met a family by the name of Ryder who had a little girl by the name of Lesley. I really liked the name and decided my first girl would be Lesley. We then added the Ann so people would know they were dealing with a girl and in honour of your Grandma Elizabeth Ann Blakeley Marsden.






Then Archie. You were named after your Grandfather Archie Marsden. I never met him but your Dad always spoke of him with love and respect. He was a hard worker, had a good singing voice and played a musical instrument in a brass band.




Then came Timothy.

We considered many names and discarded some because of the people we knew with that name, some we discarded because they didn't feel right, we considered biblical names and liked the name of Timothy.





Then Alan, our First Born in the Wilderness. It was a foregone conclusion to name him Alan, I wanted a boy named after his Dad. We have had some laughs about this as we tried to identify which Alan. Senior or Junior? He is a Sophomore. Which one? the one who plays soccer, they both played soccer. The one involved with music, they both were. But we managed it.





Then Lilian, another girl. She was named after my Mother Lily Ann Mullen Ditty. Through the years she became know as Lilian. She was a hard worker and a visionary women, she wanted her family to come live in America. I'm sure she is very happy as she contemplates the realization of this dream and watches her posterity.



David our last born.
We had considered this name several times with previous children but this time it was appropiate. I always felt it was necessary to have a name for the baby before it was born. We are pleased with the names we chose and love the children for who they are.

9 comments:

Karalee said...

I love when you have new blog posts! And I DID NOT know that your mother's name was actually "Lily Ann" !?!?!? Is that the name on her birth certificate?

Marivic said...

I knew all about Alan's name but didn't know how the rest of his brothers and sisters ended up with their names. So interesting. Thanks for this post Mom. I think they all ended up with the names they're supposed to have because they all seem to belong to their names & vice versa. You picked all beautiful names--simple, real and classic. My parents tried the creative route and oh the problems we now have with our birth names. :-)

Lilian said...

Did you know that I didn't know until a few years ago (when you gave each of us our family history book) that my grandmother's name was Lily Ann? And further... did you know that for many years, as a child, I wished I'd had a middle name... and that my name was Lily Ann. ?????

Now you know :-)

Lilian said...

....meaning I wished that my name was Lily Ann.

BobN said...

But you kind of have a middle name already, I've heard your Mom call you "R Lillian" :-)

BobN said...

Sorry, my spell check auto corrected Lilian

Tiffany said...

Oh I love that. I think I did a post like this once, or at least I thought about it. I'll have to check and see, certainly a must for posterity.
How interesting to read about yours.

PS-I was thrilled you called me on Monday--call me anytime.
xx

Melissa said...

Hannah Elizabeth and Paige Lily share names with both of my paternal great grandmothers, which I think is really neat...although we got the Elizabeth from both sides of our families. I wanted to name Paige after you, Granma, and we decided on "Lily" because I knew you were named after your mother who was named "Lily Ann" even though you are Lilian.

Kathy said...

Ditto! I didn't know grandma's name was Lily Ann, but I think that's just because I always assumed it was Lilian! Love it! And Lily for a long time has been the name I want to use for a girl - if we ever get one. :o)