Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Titanic

This month is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.
It was built in Belfast and my Grandfather Henry (Harry) Mullen who was a blacksmith helped build it. This is my Grandfather with his daughter Agnes.



He was my mother's father and my mother (Lilian Mullen) watched the ship launched. She was only 6 years old but she was there. :o)



Apparently the shipyard workers on hearing of the sinking said, "she was alright when she left here".

In 1962 when we were planning on coming to America, I knew I would be travelling with 3 children as it was the plan for Alan to come first and get a job etc. I was planning to come by boat but..... 1962 was the 50th anniversary of the sinking and there was a program on the radio about it and I thought, "I can't go by boat!!! suppose something happens?



I have two hands and three children.... so it was settled, we came by plane, which is another whole story.

4 comments:

Alan said...

I'm going to mention my Titanic connection on the air this week :) But I can't boast that it was Irishmen who built the Titanic but Englishmen who sunk it, since I am also English.

Bea said...

You are American thru and thru..... Will it be on your station website?

Lilian said...

As American as you're wee bairns that were born in the wilderness are.... we actually like our Irish/English connection.

Unless of course... someone in our family was responsible for the ship going down?? Nah.

Lesley said...

I will celebrate my 35th wedding aniversary on the Titanic's 100th anniversary.