
Lesley was born on July 10th 1958 at the Royal Maternity Hospital, in Belfast, Northern Ireland. After much desire and heartbreak. I thought I would NEVER have a baby and look at us now. :o)
She started walking on the day after Mother's Day in 1959 and always walked on her tip toes, hence the name. People would say,"she is walking on her tip toes!" "She walks on her tip toes she is going to be a ballerina!" She was always a good baby and slept through the night from she was 2 months old. She went with us to the London Temple dedication and was sealed to us there in September 1958.
We were learning a new hymn in Sunday school #44 but we put our own words to it.
Beautiful Lesley built above
Beautiful Lesley that we love.
Beautiful teeth so pearly white
Beautiful eyes so big and bright
She who was born on the 10th of July
She is the apple of our eye.
Lesley, Lesley, Beautiful Lesley
Lovely Lesley, Lesley Marsden that we love.
Grandma Ditty, to the day she died (1981) always called her Lesley Ann.

When she was 3 1/2 years old and we still lived in Belfast, she took off one day with her doll pram and crossed a local field to visit my friend. There were always a LOT of seagulls in that field and they must have flown near her and I credit this situation to her dislike of birds to this day. She used to do shopping for me in Belfast. About a block from our home was a "strip mall". I would write a note with money and put it in one hand and tell her which shop to go to, and in the other hand was another note and money for another shop and she would come home with the "messages".(Our terminology in Belfast for errands)I am amazed that we allowed her to do that but that was what children did.
She missed her Daddy when he came to Salt Lake in 1962 and the first words she said to him when they met 4 months later was, "Do you want to keep me?"
She was thrilled after three brothers to get a baby sister. When her Daddy went to her third grade class to tell her, the class applauded. She was in Mrs Baty's class at West Bountiful.
She was really pleased when her niece Alyssa was born on her (Lesley's) 32nd birthday.
She has a beautiful singing voice that she has shared for years. And continues to seek opportunities to develop that talent.
She has always been an obedient and loving person. A faithful wife, a devoted Mother, a loving daughter, a caring sister, a friendly aunt, and an attentive friend. She works hard and is devoted to serving the Lord. She has not missed an opportunity to serve in the temple at least once a month for the past 12 years. She is determined to serve where and when called and to help build the kingdom. She has had much adversity in her life but comes through with her beautiful smile intact. She is a builder. A builder in our family, reference her blog and her "Family Fridays"
She is what her Dad and I call AN ELECT LADY.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart, and many more.
(she won't see this blog till later today, she's at Girl's Camp)

8 comments:
Happy birthday, Les! You've always been a good "Ate" to me and Alan, and a loving aunt to our kids. It's not possible to put into words how much I admire your efforts and ability to keep the family a family and make memories together. And if I already haven't apologized yet, I'm sorry for stinking up your house by cooking squid in your kitchen my first week ever in America! You are a good sport :-)
(oh, how funny--the word verification for this comment is fatted oc which reminds me of fatted octopus. Can I cook one next time I visit you in your new house?) :-)
Thanks Mother. I love you and Dad, you ARE the best!!
Lesley is by far my favorite sister!! She has always been a good siter and a wonderful friend to me. I love it when she invites herself over to watch movies at my house. I love it when she is telling me a funny story and laughs so hard while telling me that I can't even understand what she is saying. I love my sister from the top of her head all the way to her big toe that she hates. Love you Les... MEAN IT!!!!
I LOVE AUNT LESLEY!!! She has always been such a great aunt to me! There is always a connection between children who have the responsibility of being the oldest. My mom says I'm a lot like Lesley with the way I treat my siblings and I take that as a huge compliment. She even mentions that I'm like Aunt Lesley when it comes to Carly- Sean's Friend as everyone calls her (I call her my future sister in law). HAPPY BIRTHDAY LE-LOU! We Love You!!!
When I think of Lesley I think of the word "happy." Then I realize that's already a nickname given her by her father-in-law. But Lesley always seems happy and makes people around her feel happy. Lesley is a great big sister. She's visited us in every town we've lived in since moving away from Utah in Jan.1994. She's the reason I'm a lot more familiar with the Osmond Bros. and Partridge Family than with the Jackson 5. She did a lot to accommodate my bringing my Filipina to America and marrying her. (Les and Mike gave Marivic their bedroom AND Lesley made Vicvic's wedding dress).
You're a great Ate, Les. Happy Birthday.
Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday Les!! I loved this post and I have to agree with all of the comments too. You are a great person and someone that I look up to. You are an elect lady and I am grateful for your example in my life. You have taught me so much and I am so grateful for the things I have learned from you. You are a very happy person and you bring so much joy to our family! Who knows, what would have happened if you and Mike hadn't driven us on our first date? I hate to think about that!!
That was a cute post about Lesley! I hope you had a Happy Birthday! Mike and Glen are always telling each other happy birthday! Mike said it to Glen through the microphone, while singing, at the parade last Thursday! Good multi-tasking Mike!!!
Post a Comment