
On this date in history, May 10th 1955, Alan reported for his National Service to Imphal Barracks, York England, the home of the 1st Batt. West Yorkshire Regiment. For the next three years he was in the service of Her Majesty The Queen. He was in York for 16 weeks for basic training. At the end of this time his Regiment was stationed in Omagh, Co. Tyrone Northern Ireland, just about 80 miles from Belfast where a certain Irish girl lived. ME!!!
Just ask me....were we happy? our answer was, (as they say in Yorkshire,) "were we what?"
He was later transferred to Palace Barracks five miles from my home. He was later transferred to Ballykinlar about 25 miles away. Later he served in Egypt, and was then stationed in Colchester in Essex.
In April of 1958 he was finished with active service, and came home to Belfast. The rest is history, known or unknown.

4 comments:
It makes for a whole different perspective now that I've been to Northern Ireland AND I've seen Imphal Barracks.
I could really see Derek (David's Derek) in this picture of dad. It is a very nice picture and I enjoy reading your dates in history segments. Thanks for sharing
My daddy is so handsome!
Dad is a smiling soldier, not a serious, grumpy-looking soldier. So Dad! :-)
Post a Comment