I started to work for the Church as a PBX Operator.

Back in 1952 I left school and my Mother had desires to see me do something different, so we went to the "Labour Exchange" and filed an application for the "Civil Service". My choices were "Telegraphist" or "Telephonist" so we looked at each other and choose Telephonist. Unfortunatly by the time I finally started in Telephone House in Belfast in June 1954 my Mother had been dead a year. But I have always credited her with my "future" employment.
When I started this is a picture of what my work envirionment looked like. The only difference is the clothing style.


The partial history behind this is .........
Back in 1952 I left school and my Mother had desires to see me do something different, so we went to the "Labour Exchange" and filed an application for the "Civil Service". My choices were "Telegraphist" or "Telephonist" so we looked at each other and choose Telephonist. Unfortunatly by the time I finally started in Telephone House in Belfast in June 1954 my Mother had been dead a year. But I have always credited her with my "future" employment.
When I started this is a picture of what my work envirionment looked like. The only difference is the clothing style. Then I worked as a telephonist on our local newspaper "The Belfast Telegraph" (the tele). This is a picture of the office I work in and a picture of the equipment I used.


After coming to Utah I worked at the LDS Hospital and again used similar equipment but this was 20 years later and new electronic equipment soon replaced this.
In January of 1979 as already stated I went to work for the Church and this opened a whole new career. I loved being an "operator". The work was always moving, I didn't have to bring it home with me and I talked with people from all over the world.
Being a Church operator gave me the opportunity to meet the Brethren and help them in their work. They often said what a comfort it was for them to call from all over the world and hear, "LDS Church Offices". There were several operators and the work was fun. Therein lies another whole "BLOG" or should it be called a "book"?
Being a Church operator gave me the opportunity to meet the Brethren and help them in their work. They often said what a comfort it was for them to call from all over the world and hear, "LDS Church Offices". There were several operators and the work was fun. Therein lies another whole "BLOG" or should it be called a "book"?

8 comments:
I remember coming to your office and that little planter on your desk was smaller than the one on the "Chief Operators" desk. Then when you were made "Chief Operator" I was really excited that you might have a bigger planter. I don't know how old I was at that particular time, but I'm sure I was old enough that it shouldn't have mattered to me! Ha ha!
:-)
I remember when you got your first paycheck. We all went shopping and you were buying. You bought Andy a cute pair of overalls and a shirt. He's wearing them in his first birthday picture taken just weeks later. I also remember being at your retirement party with all my kids, Andy was just about to graduate from HS.
I love reading these stories Trixie!
Hey! I don't remember being part of that shopping trip!
Your telephone operator days looked like fun -- we have something else in common, I too was a telephone operator -- same type equipment, etc. I worked in the Provo Telephone office after I graduated from HS and for awhile after I was married. Quite MANUAL, huh?
Good to hear from you and about you now and then. Love You! Donna
Your Mom was a very astute lady, Mom. She knew she had a very capable daughter, and I love that she guided you towards doing something you can fall back on as a career when the time comes. She was very forward-looking.
And I enjoyed visiting you at the church office building when you worked there. It was such a big deal for me coming from the "mission field" and moving to "Zion" and having the chance to walk where the general authorities walk because of you. I was blown out of my mind :-)
Granma! I got so excited reading this because I remember SEEING that Belfast Telegraph sign while I was there! My dad told me that's where you worked! It's kind of weird that I've been there now too! :D :D
Post a Comment