
....... Jean. She is older than me by 13 years, today is the anniversary of her birth. So going on the premise if I remember her and tell others about her she will always live. :o)
She was beautiful and happy, she would go dancing with our brother Jack and had a lovely alto singing voice. She always seemed to have a lot of boyfriends. I remember meeting one of them by accident in downtown Belfast and he took me to lunch. An unforgetable experience for this 10 year old. When she would go out on a date if she received a box of chocolates she always saved a few for me. Well maybe I had to give Brian one but.............. 

During the war she worked in England and came home on a visit, or maybe she came home to stay, either way, we shared a bed and one night June was there and Jean told us about all the fun she had in London and what she had eaten and we were punching her while she was talking about strawberries and cream and knickerbocker glories. Desserts that to this wartime child were only words. And the three of us lay and giggled and had a good laugh. I finally had a Knickerbocker Glory when I visited Belfast for her funeral.
She was 26 years old when she got married and I was a bridesmaid. Brian and I used
to love and go visit her in her first apartment. Her kitchen was a closet (about the size of Lilian's main floor bathroom) but what delicious food came out of that "closet".
to love and go visit her in her first apartment. Her kitchen was a closet (about the size of Lilian's main floor bathroom) but what delicious food came out of that "closet". This picture of her with our Mother was taken about 6 months before our Mother passed away in March 1953, just 10 days before Jean's first baby was born.
After I got married she would come all the way across Belfast to visit, it was about an hour's journey and involved several buses. Billy worked in a banana warehouse and she always brought bananas, when Alan got home from work and saw the bananas he always knew Jean was here. :o)
Until we came to the States I never had to buy bananas and when I got here it was a difficult purchase for me. :o). She came to Utah to visit us several times, and it was fun to have her. I returned to Belfast a few times to see her.
This is one of the last pictures I have of the two of us together.
She passed away in April 1995. I miss her. I have not been to Belfast since.

10 comments:
That picture of Auntie Jean "just 10 days before Jean's first baby was born" ???? She doesn't look like she's about to have a baby?? Did you mean that my grandma died just 10 days before??
Either way, this was a very nice tribute to your sister!
I was wondering the same thing Lilian was. Auntie Jean was beautiful. I remember you telling stories of all her boyfriends and chocolates. Lilian is very lucky to have a big sister! :-)
I think you need to go to Belfast Mom. 13 1/2 years is too long.
Thanks for sharing about Auntie Jean.
These old photos are great, Mom. I can totally see little Alan in your little Bea picture with Auntie Jean. I also see glimpses of Lilian and Tara in Auntie Bea. It weirds me out in a good way. You are so blessed that you had a nice big sister. I don't think I was as nice to my little sisters as Auntie Jean was to you. I have some repenting to do.
It is great to see the photos and read about the nice things you have said about my mum, i know she would have loved the internet as she really missed her family. She always looked forward to you letters (rembemer having to write)and having you come over to visit she would have been baking for days before you came, i rembemer going to your house before you went away i can still see the big wooden playpen in the middle of your floor. Thank you again for keeping my mother's memory alive.
Ooopsie--- when I said "I also see glimpses of Lilian and Tara in Auntie Bea" I meant to say Auntie Jean. I was thrown off by the "little Alan in the little Bea" line just before that. Aii-yaii-yaii--my brain is not working. I need a vacation :-(
kgimaxwwIt was so fun to read about Auntie Jean. It makes me really wish that I knew her. My mom only had one sister too. My aunt Margie died when my mom was about 27 years old. She has always felt so sad not to have a big sister around. I especially have loved to learn of her passion for entertaining and food. What a fun person. Thanks for sharing :)
Sorry about the first few letters...somehow Betty was typing that
Lilian IS lucky to have a big sister! ;-)
What a beautiful tribute grandma, I hope to know Auntie Jean one day. ;) I agree with Alan, I think it's time for you to return to Belfast for a visit. Jeremy and I would GLADLY accompany you! ;)
Post a Comment